POSITIVE THINKING AND PUBLIC RELATIONS: 5 SUGGESTIONS & CONCEPTS
Truth is, ‘positive thinking’ is immediately associated with the ‘self-help’ shelf in your closest Barnes & Noble, but it is much more practical than you might think. My experience in business, and in life makes me more confident on how positive thinking can get you where you want to go.
It is said on Sir. David Ogilvy that during the early days of founding the legendary Ogilvy ad agency he’d go in the office and ask: “Well? Did Coca Cola call already?” Every single morning. Until they actually did. Coincidence? You may think so, but also in this Public Relations business, I can testify: positive thinking integrated into our lives can make a difference.
Here are 5 suggestions:
1) The power of imagination. It is taken for granted, not fully utilized and seldom used to leverage your professional direction. The truth in contrast is, – imagination is the very first –and very far- achievement towards where you want to get. It could be picturing yourself with a new client, picturing your new office, imagining a media coverage piece on recent major achievements of yours. Anything you picture on a daily basis consistently can materialize physically.
2) Act as if you already possess what you want. Sometimes we hold back on actions or emotions just because we “aren’t there yet”. A simple tip: Pretend you are there and you’ll find yourself happier, and more fulfilled with what you are currently doing.
3) Communicate positively. People are often skeptic of their abilities, and great PR people (and generally business people) recognize that passion is key. It is crucial not only to be passionate about your own job, but on the brand, firm, personality you’re representing. Your positive passion on a product can radiate far, and will be genuinely reflected in your media pitches, releases and placements.
4) What you give out is what comes back. You claim you can’t do something? It’s certainly harder if you don’t try. Express positive outcomes to ideas, initiatives and efforts. Don’t look for why it WOULDN’T work. It is well reflected in the methods of professional brainstorming. You do not rule out ANYTHING that is brought up. Apply it to something in your life.
5) Communicate. Yes, it’s a funny tip to offer communicators and public relations practitioners but it’s easily forgotten and is being deserted. Pitching the media? Connect over the phone. Following up? Give ‘em a call! When we express ourselves verbally (and positively) we attract better results. Less space for gaps in mutual understanding, and better personal relationships.
- Ronn Torossian Book Excerpt: Might Makes Right
- 3 Vital Steps to Creating Understanding in your Audience
- Leadership Training for Frontline Managers
- Public Relations Rule Book by Ronn Torossian
- Just a Hint of PR Makes a Difference
- Pop-up Beauty Public Relations
- Speak to the Person in Front of You
- Celebrity Product Placement Done Right – Ronn Torossian…
Who is Ronn Torossian:Ronn Torossian 5WPR CEO, Author of best selling PR book “For Immediate Release: Shape Minds, Build Brands, and Deliver Results with Game-Changing Public Relations”, and a regular contributor to Fox News, Huffington Post, Business Insider, Insights Wired, Everything PR and more!
Ronn Torossian at the NY Observer
Ronn Torossian at Everything PR
Ronn Torossian at Wired Innovation Insights
IN THE PRESS:
5W Public Relations is based out of 1166 Avenue of the Americas in New York City. 5WPR has offices in Los Angeles and Colorado. Let us help your brand generate results, get in touch with 5W PR or Ronn today @ info@5WPR.com