Just left dinner with a client at the Bryant Park Hotel in midtown Manhattan – and about halfway through dinner, who came and sat at the booth next to me? None other than famed actress, Reese Witherspoon, together with her husband Jim Toth. She was newly blond – and very visible at the restaurant.
And, surprisingly they ordered a bottle of white wine and kept it on the table as they drank it. Reese – Want some free crisis PR advice? Don’t drink in public right after your very high-profile arrest in Georgia a few weeks ago where you were very drunk. Why drink in public? Major mistake – and your husband, manager and publicist should tell you that.
You asked the cop who arrested you “Do you know my name?” I can assure you many people at the restaurant tonight know your name – and saw you drinking. No upside – and a lot of potential downside to drinking in public. Don’t do it.
As one who grew up in New York City, never dreamed I’d own a leading PR Agency. Yet, thanks to hard work, I do. Along the lines there’s been a lot of inspiration – and as such, wanted to provide some great quotes from graduation ceremonies to inspire the class of 2013:
- “Your time is limited, so don’t waste it living someone else’s life. Don’t let the noise of others’ opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition… Stay hungry. Stay foolish.” Steve Jobs
- “Love what you do. Get good at it. Competence is a rare commodity in this day and age. And let the chips fall where they may.” Jon Stewart
- “Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value.” Albert Einstein
- “Always do more than is required of you.” George S. Patton
- “The knowledge that you have emerged wiser and stronger from setbacks means that you are, ever after, secure in your ability to survive. You will never truly know yourself, or the strength of your relationships, until both have been tested by adversity. Such knowledge is a true gift, for all that it is painfully won, and it has been worth more to me than any qualification I ever earned.” J.K. Rowling
- “Do not just go through the motions. Never put yourself in the position of regretting what you did not try to do. Every experience, whether it is good or bad, if it is based on the passionate belief that what you are doing is something you love, will give you the will and the character to learn, grow and persevere. Stand up for yourself and your dreams. Do not lose your youthful idealism for the world.” George Tenet
- “Never give in. Never give in. Never, never, never, never — in nothing, great or small, large or petty — never give in, except to convictions of honor and good sense.” Winston Churchill
- “So, that’s what I wish for all of you: the bad as well as the good. Fall down, make a mess, break something occasionally. And remember that the story is never over.” Conan O’Brien
While 5WPR, the agency founded by Ronn Torossian is constantly hiring and jobs can be reviewed here, this week there are some interesting new high-profile PR jobs which are worth reviewing for anyone not seeking an agency:
- Bedrocket Media Ventures is hiring a Director of PR. The company was founded by the founder of multiple successful cable networks and the co-founder of Huffington Post, and describes themselves as “a disruptive media company looking to change the face of media and entertainment.” Review more information on the job at: http://www.jobscore.com/jobs/bedrocketmediaventures/director-pr-publicity/aIoHm2UmWr4Q23eJe4iefn?Board=Indeed&PID=1185219
- BlackRock, a preeminent asset management firm is looking for a marketing expert who works in a detail oriented manner. The person who they choose for the job can work in either San Francisco, California or NYC — More info can be found at http://jobs.efinancialcareers.com/job-4000000001195967.htm?utm_campaign=JS_US_ALLJOBS&utm_source=AMS_US_ENG&utm_medium=PD_AG_SIMPLYHIRED&clientName=US_SimplyHired
- Tiffany & Co is seeking a Manager of PR for media relations and special events – got to work on those amazing teal boxes. The role includes media outreach as well as work focused on the company’s e-commerce website. Review more at: https://jobs-tiffany.icims.com/jobs/19168/job?mode=job&iis=Indeed&iisn=Indeed.com
Happy job hunting
While this week saw 5WPR being named as a finalist for PR Agency of the Year by the prestigious American Business Awards, like every other week there were many highlights at the company every day for our hard-working staff:
- Three feature stories this weekend in The Wall Street Journal for clients
- 4 Mashable or Techcrunch articles for start-up companies we represent
- Including prestigious Israeli start-up company Beyond Verbal
- New York launch event for a non-profit client, Bright Future International (BFI) which helps underprivileged kids all over the world and was founded by Russian entrepreneur Anthony Melikhov. They hosted a special Beyond the Ballet performance at the Beacon Theater which included a performance by Dionne Warwick.
- Multiple clients announced increased earnings, including ProPhase Labs, which is the marketer of Cold-EEZE(R).
- Re-branding for a major political advocacy organizationAnd so much more on a daily basis for our clients. And as an aside, we would welcome your thoughts and sharing our Pinterest page.
It is so great to have an amazing staff and rewarding client partners. Indeed, 2013 is turning out to be a great year for my PR Agency. Today, finalists were announced for the premier business awards program – one we have never before entered – The American Business Awards.
Indeed, we entered into two categories – and made the finals in two categories. The 5WPR Nomination, Re-writing the Rules of PR: 5W Builds an Agency for a New Media Landscape made the finals and has the firm I founded 10 years ago as a finalist for 2013 PR Agency of the year.
Additionally, yours truly is also a finalist in the Communications, Investor Relations, and PR Executive of the Year category – for rewriting the rules of Public Relations.
This is an absolute highlight of the agency’s history and one which we are very excited about. We constantly remain true to our motto, for our clients and ourselves. REAL. RESOURCEFUL. RESULTS. As always, onward and upward.
P.S. – (Finalists will be chosen at theABAevent on June 17 in Chicago). More details on the awards, as well as all the finalists can be found at
- Audemars Piguet (3)
- Beauty PR (4)
- Bloggers (28)
- Books (65)
- Brand PR (75)
- Branded Entertainment (35)
- Business (116)
- Careers in PR (18)
- Celebrity PR (42)
- Clients (26)
- Communication PR (29)
- Crisis PR (95)
- Culture (40)
- Entertainment PR (48)
- Entrepreneur (154)
- Fashion PR (1)
- Globalization (11)
- Government (31)
- Graphical Quotes (19)
- Guest Post (4)
- International (20)
- Leadership (31)
- Magazines (8)
- Media & PR (182)
- Motivation (160)
- Movies (9)
- New York City (45)
- News (74)
- NY Times (20)
- Politics (21)
- PR (445)
- PR Agency (284)
- PR Careers (16)
- PR Firm (276)
- PR Quotes (33)
- Public Speaking (17)
- Reporters (14)
- Responsibility (30)
- Social Networking / Social Media (25)
- Sports PR (31)
- Technology PR (13)
- Travel PR (24)
- Trends (32)
- Uncategorized (2)