“For Immediate Release: Shape Minds, Build Brands, and Deliver Results with Game-Changing Public Relations” offers some great advice. Get the book today if you don’t have it yet by the CEO of 5WPR.
Here are some more tips from the book:
- The media loves stunts. If you want to clear the clutter and make headlines within 24 hours, produce a marketing stunt in a media-centric area. Provided the stunt is well thought out, well-timed, uber-creative, and provides an outstanding visual, you can make headlines and the story and visual can get syndicated.
- Utilize and understand SEO. Optimize your website. With today’s world, search engines matter more than any individual story.
- Hire great PR people. The public’s sense of your brand comes from what the media says and how you turn up in search engine results. Good PR people can help ensure all of it reinforces your brand message. (And don’t be so cheap on PR—don’t expect the world with tiny budgets.)
- Read the news. Know what’s going on in the media so you can tie your PR strategy and relevant comments to the trends and stories of the day.
- The media chases each other’s tails. News assignment editors, although powerful, have limited power and a great deal of responsibility. If they make a mistake and fail to cover something that turns out to be important, their job is on the line. If one outlet does a story, the competitor will want it, too. Figure out how you can use the tail chasing to your advantage.